DEXUS INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
In September 2014, Georgiou was awarded a $10 million design and construct contract to deliver the Dexus Industrial Estate in Truganina, Victoria.
The scope of works for the Dexus Industrial Estate project included:
- construction of the largest gross pollutant trap in Victoria;
- major earthworks, including importation of 295,000m3 of fill;
- approximately 30,000m2 of road construction, including interface with heavily trafficked Dohertys Road;
- 2.4km of stormwater drainage infrastructure, including large 2,700mm Melbourne Water outfall drain;
- 1.8km of water reticulation infrastructure;
- 2.3km of sewerage infrastructure (up to 6.5m deep); and
- the installation of electrical and communications infrastructure.
The scale of the project presented a few noteworthy challenges which were successfully managed, including:
- water management – management of large flows through existing 2700mm pipeline during construction;
- site traffic management – more than 600 truck movements every day importing fill material;
- largest gross pollutant trap in Victoria, requiring an 11m deep excavation in rock and continuous dewatering; and
- disposal of over 30,000T of excavated rock.
The team worked closely with the DEXUS, design consultants and relevant authorities (ie. Melbourne Water) throughout the project to ensure the design met the necessary requirements with no delays to the construction programme. The close relationship between Georgiou, DEXUS and relevant authorities is considered a key to the success of the project.