DEXUS INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
In September 2014, Georgiou was awarded a $10 million design and construct industrial estate contract for DEXUS Fund Management in Truganina, Victoria.
Scope of works included:
- construction of the largest gross pollutant trap in Victoria;
- major earthworks, including importation of 295,000m3 of fill;
- approx. 30,000m2 of road construction, including interface with heavily trafficked Dohertys Rd;
- 2.4km of stormwater drainage infrastructure, including large 2700mm Melbourne Water outfall drain;
- 1.8km water reticulation infrastructure;
- 2.3km of sewerage infrastructure up to 6.5m deep; and
- installation of electrical and communications infrastructure.
The scale of the project presented a few noteworthy challenges that where successfully managed:
- water management – management of large flows through existing 2700mm pipeline during construction;
- site traffic management – more than 600 truck movements every day importing fill material;
- largest gross pollutant trap in Victoria, requiring an 11m deep excavation in rock and continuous dewatering; and
- disposal of over 30,000T of excavated rock.
The team worked closely with the DEXUS, design consultants and relevant authorities (ie. Melbourne Water) throughout the project to ensure the design met the necessary requirements with no delays to the construction programme. The close relationship between Georgiou, DEXUS and relevant authorities is considered a key to the success of the project.