Georgiou Group secured the coveted $51.8 million Mandurah Traffic Bridge project in November 2015. Early works began in December 2015 with the project completed in March 2018.
Awarded by Main Roads WA, scope of works included the decommissioning of the existing bridge and the design and construction of a new bridge over the Mandurah Estuary, including associated roadworks, public amenities and infrastructure. The bridge improved vehicular capacity with two traffic lanes in each direction and safety for pedestrians and cyclists with separate, wider facilities over the bridge.
Special features of the project include:
- geometry of a single curve throughout the bridge length in both plan and profile providing an aesthetic sweeping curve;
- incremental launching of the 243.5 metre long bridge (abutment to abutment);
- elegant structural solutions engaged to reduce impact on the estuary through careful minimisation of piles to the bridge and boardwalks;
- five bridge piers in total, four of which are located within the Estuary. The four river piers comprise of reinforced concrete columns, on reinforced concrete pile caps supported by reinforced concrete piles. Lowered principal shared path are connected to the bridge structure, with an open balustrade overlooking the estuary;
- significant retention of the existing traffic bridge with integrated interpretation and artworks; and
- a combination of board walks and fishing platforms at the eastern and western most water based pile caps to the bridge. A fishing platform was also created on eastern remnants of the old bridge.
- High Commendation at Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Award (National) – Infrastructure
- Winner of Concrete Institute of Australia Awards (National) – Infrastructure
Winner of Master Builders Australia Excellence in Construction Award (WA) – Best Project
- Winner of Master Builders Australia Excellence in Construction Award (WA) – Best Civil Engineering Works $20 -$50 million
- Winner of Concrete Institute of Australia Awards (WA) – Infrastructure
- Winner of Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Award (WA) – Infrastructure
- Winner of World Demolition Awards (INTL)- Civils Demolition
- Winner of Civil Contractor Federation Earth Awards (WA) – $30 – $75 million
- Winner of Australian Engineering Excellence Awards (WA) – Infrastructure