REID HIGHWAY UPGRADE
Georgiou delivered the Reid Highway Upgrade under a design and construct contract, valued at $65 million, in December 2016.
Scope of works included:
- Some 2.2km of carriageway duplication (between Erindale Road and Duffy Road) south of the existing Reid Highway;
- a new loop ramp to allow traffic movements from Reid Highway westbound to Mitchell Freeway northbound, a new bridge over Mitchell Freeway/railway line and upgrades to local intersections;
- improvements to the existing shared path over the existing Reid Highway bridge (including a barrier to separate the path from vehicular traffic);
- some 2km of carriageway widening from Duffy Road to Marmion Avenue to provide two through lanes in each direction.
- the Reid Highway/Malaga Drive Interchange works provides a four-lane freeway standard route on Reid Highway over a four-lane arterial standard route on Malaga Drive; and
- dedicated bus lanes (requested by the Public Transport Authority) and a Principal Shared Path (PSP) linked to the existing PSP on Reid Highway to Malaga Drive.
The project, which also included works on the Reid Highway/Malaga Drive interchange and the widening of Reid Highway between Duffy Road and Marmion Avenue, significantly improved safety and traffic flow along Reid Highway in Balcatta, Carine and Malaga.
More than 21,200 vehicles a day use Reid Highway west of the freeway towards Marmion Avenue, and more than 30,000 vehicles a day use the highway east of the freeway.