NEWELL HIGHWAY UPGRADE – PARKES BYPASS
Georgiou is delivering the $115 million Newell Highway Upgrade - Parkes Bypass project for repeat client, Transport for NSW.
Transport for NSW
Parkes New South Wales 2870, Australia
mid-2021 - late 2023
Georgiou is delivering the $115 million Newell Highway Upgrade – Parkes Bypass project for repeat client, Transport for NSW.
The Newell Highway Upgrade – Parkes Bypass project involves relocating the regional highway by about two kilometers west between Maguire Road to the north and Barkers Road to the south with the construction of a new 10.5km bypass.
- a new two-lane bypass (one lane in each direction) with four key intersections comprising:
- T-intersections where the new bypass connects to the existing highway near Barkers Road (south) and Maguire Road (north)
- a staggered T-intersection at London Road
- a four-way roundabout at Condobolin Road
- a new bridge over the Broken Hill and Parkes to Narromine rail lines and Hartigan Avenue;
- a new shared pedestrian/cycleway bridge over the Parkes Bypass connecting Victoria Street and Back Trundle Road;
- an extension of Hartigan Avenue that will connect to Brolgan Road (west of the bypass) and Condobolin Road; and
- changes to local roads to tie in with the new bypass.
The project team – which will employ 120 at peak – will construct two new bridges, new intersections, a four-way roundabout as well as the realignment and reconfiguration of local roads in the area.
The Australian and NSW Government-funded project is part of the $700 million Newell Highway Upgrade program to support the interstate freight industry, provide economic growth, and improve access and safety along a vital transport corridor in NSW by removing 1,200 trucks per day from local streets.
Once complete the works will improve connectivity, road transport efficiency and safety for local and interstate motorists.