KAREL AVENUE UPGRADE
Georgiou was awarded the design and construction contract for the $24 million Karel Avenue Upgrade for Main Roads WA in June 2019, following a competitive tender process.
Scope of works for the project include:
- widening Karel Avenue bridge over Roe Highway to create a dual carriageway, connecting at the two-lane dog-bone roundabouts for on and off-ramps;
- extending Karel Avenue bridge across the freight railway line located immediately south of Roe Highway to facilitate construction of the Thornlie-Cockburn Link as part of METRONET;
- extending the existing Karel Avenue underpass to accommodate the widening;
- modifying the existing Training Place intersection to left-in and left-out to promote safe access;
- widening of Karel Avenue between the Farrington Road intersection and Roe Highway to four lanes; and
- widening of Karel Avenue between Roe Highway and the Berrigan Drive roundabout to a four-lane dual carriageway, including modifications to the roundabout approaches to enable two lanes in each direction
Construction, which will employ 50 personnel on site at peak, commenced in July 2019 with expected completion in 2020.
More information: Georgiou awarded Karel Avenue Upgrade