MITCHELL FREEWAY EXTENSION
Georgiou Group – in joint venture with BMD Construction – is delivering the $215 million Mitchell Freeway Extension project in WA.
Main Roads WA
Alkimos Western Australia 6038, Australia
Nov 2021 - mid-2023
Georgiou Group – in joint venture with BMD Construction – is delivering the $215 million Mitchell Freeway Extension project in WA for repeat client Main Roads Western Australia.
The project, which will extend the Mitchell Freeway 5.6 kilometres from Hester Avenue in Clarkson to Romeo Road in Alkimos, includes:
- Extend Mitchell Freeway from Hester Avenue to Romeo Road, with two traffic lanes in each direction;
- construct an interchange at Lukin Drive and widen the road to Connolly Drive;
- construct an interchange at Butler Boulevard;
- connect Romeo Road from Wanneroo Road to Marmion Avenue, including a new intersection with the Freeway, signal modifications at the Marmion Avenue intersection, an intersection upgrade at Wanneroo Road, and a new intersection at Benenden Avenue;
- upgrade the Hester Avenue interchange;
- duplicate Wanneroo Road from south of Romeo Road to Trian Road;
- construct a bridge or tunnel over Transperth’s Nowergup Depot access road and realign to Hester Avenue;
- construct a rail tunnel under the freeway north of Lukin Drive;
- build a Principal Shared Path on the western side of the freeway and a shared path on Romeo Road;
- build a fauna underpass at Romeo Road for the Yaberoo Budjara Trail;
- construct a pedestrian underpass at Lukin Drive; and
- install noise and screen walls, safety barriers and lighting where required.
The extension will alleviate pressure on the local road network, reduce travel times and improve safety for commuters and the local community.
Construction, which will see around 200 peak personnel, will commence in November with an expected project completion of mid-2023.