Direct Factory Outlet (DFO Perth)
In June 2017, Georgiou was awarded the design and construct contract for WA’s first Direct Factory Outlet (DFO Perth) for leading retail property group Vicinity Centres.
Redcliffe Western Australia 6104, Australia
Jul 2017 - Sep 2018
In June 2017, Georgiou was awarded the design and construct contract for WA’s first Direct Factory Outlet (DFO Perth) for leading retail property group Vicinity Centres. The $69 million project is located approximately 12km from Perth CBD within the Perth Airport precinct and encompasses more than 118 retail tenancies including eight food and beverage outlets and specialty fashion stores with parking for more than 1,500 cars.
Georgiou’s scope of works for the Direct Factory Outlet (DFO Perth) project included the construction of the outlet itself as well as landscaping works, service vehicle entrance and associated loading docks, internal driveways, roadworks and footpaths, all internal services infrastructure to site including drainage, wastewater, water reticulation, power, lighting, telecommunications and gas.
Some unique features of the project include the architecture at each of the building’s three entrances. The external ‘feathered’ façades draw inspiration from an aeroplane with all lines, portholes and curves inspired by the aerospace industry. The curved steel above each entrance consists of perforations copied from flight paths around the world whilst the shotblasted 3D concrete panel design was inspired by the airport runway and chevrons. The portal frame structure compliments the grand entrances as it gives the project large mall areas with minimal columns.
- Winner of Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Award (National) – DFO Perth (Commercial Construction $50 million plus)
- Winner of Master Builders Australia Excellence in Construction Award (WA) – DFO Perth (Best Retail Building $50 – $100 million)
- Winner of Concrete Institute of Australia Awards (WA) – DFO Perth (Commercial)
- Winner of Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Award (WA) – DFO Perth (Commercial Construction $50 million plus)
- Commendation at Australian Institute of Architects WA Architecture Awards – DFO Perth (Commercial Architecture)
At peak, 600 personnel were employed on the project which was delivered in a tight 15 month programme.